Timeline of the distant future – scientists have predicted what will happen in millions of years (4 photos)
Everything in the world happens in cycles, and this is true for space as well. Stars are constantly born, gain strength, go through the main stages of life, fade away, come to the state of white dwarfs. On the planet, the seasons, days and nights are standardly replaced. Nature restores its boundaries, gradually “digesting” the products of human life. Unfortunately, humanity has not yet learned to exist without waste.
Scientists have managed to study well the nature of many terrestrial phenomena, as well as the accessible Universe, and make predictions called the time scale.
It presents, with varying degrees of probability, events that will occur in the foreseeable future and in millions of years. But if there is a collapse, which astronomers have called the Big Bang, then those events that are at the end of the timeline may not come. According to the same analysis of the system of events, the end of the universe will come after 22 billion years.
If the predicted Big Bang comes and humanity, our planet, the solar system and even the galaxy disappear, much of what is described in the scale of the distant future, our descendants will have time to survive.
Of course, many events will affect the population, such as the fall of a large meteorite in 500,000 years. And in millions of years, when there will be no people on Earth or they will populate another exoplanet, “our house” will have to end its existence, water bodies will be drained, and the Sun will begin to turn into a red giant. Events are also systemic, but for now it is worth considering what is closer.
On the scale of the distant future
- After about 520 years, the radiation left after the explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant will subside. This area will again become available for life.
- After 1000 years, as a result of the displacement of the earth’s axis, Gamma Cephei will become the northern polar star, and after another 2200 years, Iota Cephei will replace it.
- After 5200 years, the Gregorian calendar will lag behind astronomical time by a day.
- In 10 thousand years, according to the Brandon Carter theorem, the end of the world will come, 5% of people will remain on Earth.
- After 25 thousand years, the M13 cluster will reach a message to extraterrestrial civilizations sent from the Arecibo observatory, which has high hopes. And if there is life in a globular cluster, then the return signal will also reach the Earth in 25 thousand years.
- In 50 thousand years, Niagara Falls will wear off the remaining 30 km of rock that stretches to Lake Ebi and cease to exist.
- Over the next 250 thousand years, the youngest volcano of the Hawaiian Loihi chain will rise from the water. After that, it will become an island in the Hawaiian ridge.
- If Brandon’s doomsday theorem is correct, then in 7 million years the last DNA molecule will decay and other civilizations will no longer be able to restore our species.
- In 10 million years, Africa will be fragmented and divided by a bay.
- After 150 million years, the planet will take on a different look. Antarctica will come close to Australia, America to Greenland.
If the Earth and the Moon can withstand the flare, in which the Sun becomes a red giant in 50 billion years, then they will deorbit. And in 100 quintillion years, our planet will burn out, falling due to the lack of orbital motion onto a star that has been warming it for many years.
These events with a high degree of probability, according to the time scale of the distant future, will occur in millions, billions of years. The death of astronomical objects is inevitable. It can be predicted, but not stopped, because everything has a system, but there is an end.